Want to use and/or not use the new Block Editor (Gutenberg) according to your needs?
Guten Free Options allows you to smoothly transition your writing experience to WordPress 5+ by giving you full control over when a post should be edited with the Classic Editor or Block Editor… plus have a button to easily switch between them like other page builders.
With this plugin you can set the default editor to be used at ANY level, and more specific levels will override the previous ones – but only if they are set (similar to how cascading stylesheet inherit rules.)
This means complete flexibility – defaults for multisite networks, single sites, any user role, author preference, as well as being able to easily set default requirements for different custom post types and post templates, and then also switch over or override for individual posts as needed. Here is the list of possible options (in order):
- Network Default – for Multisite if plugin network activated
- Site Editor Default – set the base editor default for the site
- User Role Defaults – set a default editor for each role
- User Selection – optional default editor per user via profile
- Post Type – set a default editor to use for each post type
- Post Type Locking – lock any post type at this filtering level
- Existing Blocks – use block editor if post has existing blocks
- Post Template – set a default editor for each post template
- Metabox Override – allows selection on the post edit screen
- Querystring Button – easily switch between the editors any time
- Admin Override – post IDs or slugs specified on plugin screen
Compatible with both WordPress 4.9.x with Gutenberg plugin and WordPress 5 beta+ Block Editor, and includes filters everywhere for further custom use case control.
Also features some extra tweaks:
- Awesome button on either editor page to switch between editors
- Disable the Gutenberg install plugin nag (for WP 4.9 only)
- Remove the Gutenberg menu (for Gutenberg plugin only)
- Prevent update disabling the Gutenberg plugin (on update to WP 5 only)
(so you can continue to update Gutenberg plugin separately to core.)
Forget your personal editor allergies and install this plugin to just use what you need when you need it! 🙂